[fluid-dev] ALSA Raw connection (Re: Reading input from a MIDI device)

From: Vesa Paatero
Subject: [fluid-dev] ALSA Raw connection (Re: Reading input from a MIDI device)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 00:37:17 +0200

Hi!  Getting back to the discussion:
Here is a command line whereby the system works with "noteon":

fluidsynth -v -a alsa -o synth.gain=3.0 -o synth.verbose=yes
/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2
The easiest way is to use the alsa rawmidi driver. Find the card name by
looking at the /proc/asound/cards file - find the row corresponding to
the right sound card, and the label within brackets.
In my case it's "Piano", so then the options I need to add are:

" -m alsa_raw -o midi.alsa.device=hw:Piano"

(of course in your case replace "Piano" with your card name)

Thanks for these hints, David. Raw MIDI without any mixer activity by CPU sounds like a good choice to minimize latency.

I tried the ALSA raw option but it seems that "aconnect" can only be used to connect the MIDI input device to FluidSynth when "-m alsa_seq" is given to FluidSynth because only then a suitable connection entry shown by "aconnect -lio" is created.

So, when using alsa_raw, what is the recommended way to connect a MIDI input device?

Thanks,
Vesa