[fluid-dev] changing audio.period-size

From: Hamish Moffatt
Subject: [fluid-dev] changing audio.period-size
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 17:25:04 +1000

Is there any harm in reducing audio.period-size on Windows? It's a lot bigger by default on Windows than Mac/Linux. Should I increase audio.periods to compensate?

Background: I have my own timing loops and I'm outputting events by calling fluid_synth_noteon/noteoff() just in time (or with fluid_sequencer_send_now()). However it seems that with the default parameters, notes are only scheduled on 20ms boundaries. If I get the time between my noteOn calls from fluid_sequencer_get_tick() it's always a multiple of 20, even though I'm calling it much more accurately than that. Reducing period-size to 256 helps. Is there a disadvantage, and is there a better way?

thanks,

Hamish