Re: [fluid-dev] Adding Poly/mono functionality to FluidSynth

From: jean-jacques.ceresa
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Adding Poly/mono functionality to FluidSynth
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 16:52:38 +0200

Hi Ben
You will find the new pdf with correction.
jjc

Le 30/06/2016 23:47, Ben Gonzales a écrit :
Hi Jean-Jacques

Thanks for that comprehensive answer. I was going to ask you for those instructions on how to use it - you beat me to it.

I have a Akai Professional EWI-USB. It is the simplest and cheapest of the Akai models, and doesn't have some of the more sophisticated functions of the 4000 and 5000 models. It is, nevertheless, very good.

I didn't explain myself well enough with the EWI/Guitar comment. What I meant was, in simplified terms, that if you were playing an EWI with a wind instrument voice (eg. clarinet) then you would probably want it in mode 3 all the time. The only issue with that would be if you wanted to play 2 notes at the same time (possible with some EWIs). If you were playing with a plucked string instrument voice (eg. guitar) then mode 0 would be more suitable. The implication of this is that I could put the synth into mode 3 and turn legato on for all my playing. This would be useful because my instrument does not send CC legato messages.

I think there are a few errors/typos in the PDF document. Many are French/English issues which don't effect the sense of the document (eg. controler not controller), but there are a few others:

- The use of "EWI". EWI is a registered trade mark of Akai Professional. It is not correct to call all wind controllers EWIs. It's like calling all vacuum cleaners "Hoovers". It may annoy users of the Yamaha models... "Wind Controller" is a better, but less convenient, term. Of course abbreviating it to "WC" has other connotations!

- Section 3.1.3, R2  says "The EWI detects the end of a legato passage and sends CC legato On". I think it should be "The EWI detects the START of a legato passage and sends CC legato On". Mine doesn't actually do that!

- Section 3.5.5 (a1) says "initialAtt. n2 < initialAtt. n1". I think it should be "initialAtt. n2 > initialAtt. n1"

I will get a chance to test the patch over the weekend.

Ben