[fluid-dev] News on removing GLIB dependency.

From: Carlo Bramini
Subject: [fluid-dev] News on removing GLIB dependency.
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 16:48:47 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,
after reading some messages from mailing list archives, I'm wondering if there
are some news about removing the GLIB dependency from fluidsynth.
If I can say my opinion, this has been a (no offense) bad coding idea.
Unlike other layers, for example pthreads  (IEEE Std 1003.1c-1995) or Windows
Threads (ECMA-234), this is not a standard coding interface, so it can change
from one day to another and making it incompatible with existing code, at least
in theory.
This also means that fluidsynth will work only on platforms where GLIB is
supported.
In the coding for my homebrew project, I'm trying to move this code into
separate sources, perhaps, you could do the same... something like
fluid_sys_glib.c, fluid_sys_posix.c and fluid_sys_win.c.
It is interesting to notice that you could have pthread working even if you
are trying to run into a system that does not support them: GNU Pth implements
a cooperative multitasking by just using setjmp()/longjmp() C functions, so you
are actually able to run them even an embedded system (I did it).

Sincerely.