Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 19:31:59 +0100

> If we were to implement the special casing for stereo pairs on the panning
> control so that it affects balance instead, the resulting sound would be much
> closer to the sound that the composer intended.

Ok, so instead of completely ignoring CC10 for _LEFT and _RIGHT samples we
would fallback to CC8? I would be fine with that as well.

> I didn't know there are these _LEFT and _RIGHT sample types already.

These flags are directly read from the "struct sfSample" of the soundfont (see
enum SFSampleLink), so this should work with any valid SF2.

> why do SoundFont editors  also add the -50 and 50 pan values and why does
> FluidSynth only act on those?

It allows the SF2 designer to add stereo samples with pan values other than
+-50. Please dont ask me where this could be useful ;)

Tom