Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI piano + sustain pedal realism

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI piano + sustain pedal realism
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 19:33:40 -0600

On 08/03/2018 07:01 PM, S. wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of MIDI, although I've used Linux for a really long time. Anything that I do with a computer I pretty much require that it works with Linux or else I'm not interested. I've played piano most of my life and I've recently been looking into a fairly realistic and inexpensive way to go digital. So I recently bought a slightly used M-AUDIO 88es at a great price, and I connected it to an old laptop running openSUSE Leap 15.0 . Basically, I was able to plugin in the controller/keyboard and connect it to a software synthesizer via qjackctl, and I am able to play music. So that's the important part. :-) Now there are just a few oddities and bugs I'm running into, mostly relating to the naturalness of the sustain pedal behavior with anything that uses FluidSynth (qsynth or SF2 Player in LMMS):

1. The sustain pedal works, but not like a real piano. After hitting some keys, releasing the keys, and then immediately depressing the sustain pedal while there is still residual resonant sound, it does not sustain the resonant sound. At least, it normally doesn't-- but for a short period I was constantly switching back and forth between qsampler and qsynth and restarting Jack, and at some point the sustain pedal starting acting like a real piano under qsynth, sustaining the resonant sound after releasing keys. ?!?!?! But I can't repeat it now.

2. I really like the Yamaha Salamander soundfont from SoundFonts4U, but it appears that FluidSynth doesn't reproduce the sustain pedal release noises that some of the instruments have there, which I would really like to have. Is this an SF2 format limitation or a FluidSynth limitation?

Any other options or tips or workarounds? Thanks in advance!