freebangfont-devel

RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Bengali OT specification

From: Kaushik Ghose
Subject: RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Bengali OT specification
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 20:20:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi Andy,

> To make things clear
> In general I propose that:
> 1. To+hoshonto should be rendered as Khondoto as the norm. (The Halant
> form)
> 2.  If a following letter naturally legates with Ta, then let the
> conjunct form be displayed.
> 3.  Exceptions should be treated as such. So for sequences that need
> khondoTo to be displayed (as apposed to a conjunct form) let's stop To
> and a following letter from being joined with a ZWNJ. (such words as
> kutsit could then get an ikar in the right place).
> 4. Finally, let the behaviour of ZWJ be as is stated in the standard and
> not as in the FAQ i.e. for all Indic scripts, ZWJ is for the formation
> of a half form (the half form could be to.hosonto or whatever a font
> designer thinks is right for a halfTo).

So, one more time, explicitly for my thick head :) :

to have ta-hashanto-ta you would have

ta+hashanto+zwj+ta

to have khanda-ta + ta you would have

ta+hashanto+zwnj+ta

and to have ta-y-ta (the conjunct)

ta+hashanto+ta

> I have submitted this proposal to the Unicode mailing list for general
> discussion. I suggest that if you have any strong objections to the
> proposal you let them be known before it's to late.

I just wanted to make sure I understood this. Thanks for your patience in
replying. For me this is one of the more involved bits as far as
implementing bangla unicode goes.

I also hope I'm not buggging the other people on this list - I just
thought it would be of general interest to clear this point. If not, I'll
ask people individually :)

I got off the unicode mailing list because I was a bit overwhelmed by the
amount of email that was there that was not related to what I was
interested in
:)

Thanks
-kg