freebangfont-devel

[Freebangfont-devel] Re: HELP

From: Kaushik Ghose
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: HELP
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:13:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I'm not sure if I explain the situation to your satisfaction, but I'm
cc-ing a list that has people who can probably explain it better.

So there are two (partly separate) issues here

1. Encoding
2. Fonts

1.
The encoding that Lekho uses for bangla is unicode
(http://www.unicode.org) This has become the most widely adopted character
coding standard for international text. It has drawbacks and limitations,
but as far as bangla goes I'd say it is the best solution in the context
of multi script text.

The encoding that Ekushey and MS word uses for bangla, that you are using,
is as far as I understand NOT unicode. Basically ms word documents store
font information with the actual text. So word/ekushey do not encode
bangla as unicode, but use an arbitrary code and a font to render bangla.

This means that typing bangla with the ekushey fonts and saving the text
as a .doc document will let only ms word (and perhaps Open office) read
that document, and not as unicode bangla , but as tetx in a paticulr font
(supplied with Ekushey)
Lekho CAN NOT read .doc files

Saving a bangla document in Lekho will let you read it in a program that
supports unicode AND implements the standard rigourously. I hear the
latest versions of microsoft word do this.

2.
BUT you need at least one bangla open type font to be able to see this
text. Bangla open type fonts are available here

http://www.nongnu.org/freebangfont/downloads.html

Ekushe will NOT (as far as I know) be able to help you edit unicode
documents. Ekushey does not use unicode.

My suggestion, if you are not worried about your encoding standard, and
are most concerned about the layout of what you type is to use Ekushey and
MS word and ask for help from Robin Upton (the creater of Ekushey) to
modify the key map to suit you more

thanks
-kaushik