freebangfont-devel

[Freebangfont-devel] Font licence - GPL vs LGPL

From: Anirban Mitra
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Font licence - GPL vs LGPL
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:15:12 +0000 (GMT)

Dear friends,
All our fonts in Free Bangla Font Project are licenced under GPL.
But I feel they should be licenced under LGPL. In that way
1. They can be distributed along with non-free commercial software.
That way we will be spreading the concept of free software and GNU
using the more numerous commercial media.
2. Fonts are essentialy libraries, not an application software.
Most of the font related libraries (including FreeType) are
distributed as per provisions of LGPL.
3. The fonts can be used in embedded systemslike handhelds and
cellphones based on linux when they start supporting Bangla.

What other (including those who are more knowledgable about these
issues) think about it?

=====

Dr Anirban Mitra

Email: mitra_anirban AT yahoo DOT co DOT in

Web Page http://www.geocities.com/mitra_anirban

Go to http://yahoo.shaadi.com