freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Changes in the Bangla Juktakhar system

From: Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Changes in the Bangla Juktakhar system
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:25:59 +0530

Hi,
Kaushik Ghose wrote as:

I agree, I kind of like the old (complicated) way, it adds more charm,
but
I guess a simpler way is more pragmatic. So we should have two forms
of
the fonts "Modern" and "Traditional" that uses the two mehtods

i obtained a copy of the the 'Bangla BananBidhi' to be read in
conjunction with the 'Bangla Banan Abhidhaan' from the Paschim Banga
Bangla Academy. It lists out among other things that consensus
decision on various conjunct forms as well the decisions taken on
various spellings. while the former is (perhaps) more of a
representational problem (via glyphs and judicious selection of
fonts), the latter is somewhat beguiling. (this mail is thus copied to
the core list additionally).

it brings to fore an issue that perhaps will be faced by those
interfacing with bodies like the Bangla Academy. The spelling
dictionary lists the currently accepted forms of words eg. udbodhan
which earlier had a da-ba conjunct (am i using this correct ?) would
now be spelt as da-hasanta-bo. this is just a curious example, the
spelling guidelines lists more rules to this effect (eg kahini has all
'i' ie the first i which is called in Hindi the 'chhoti ee'). do note
that these are very random examples as i ruefully note that my name is
spelt not in the traditional juktakhhar fashion.

the point thus remains, how do we reconcile with such changes ? and
what additional factors are required to be kept in mind for Bangladesh
? and how much of a modification in the font families of the project
would this change usher in ? in any event for implementation and
deployment and use in GoWB infrastructure, ratification by the Bangla
Academy is a fait accompli - we, perhaps need to measure the depth of
these changes.

on a very radical and random note, how about initiating some
volunteers (if such persons can be found and more importantly if they
be willing) to input the entire spelling dictionary ?

regards
sankarshan

ps: another curious anecdote - bisharga chinher barjan -- as per the
current rulesets words like prathamato, antato, falato would not
require the bisharga.

---