freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Traditional and Modern Bengali

From: Anirban Mitra
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Traditional and Modern Bengali
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:45:57 +0000 (GMT)

Deepayan wrote:
>Isn't it enough to just have a different version of the fonts with
> the relevant lookups removed ?

In open type font there is no need to create two version as you can
register multiple language variant under a single script in a font.
It is the job of the renderer and the OpenType aware applications
to find out what variant of the script is being used and adjust
accordingly.
For example, in Mukti Narrow, we can add a Bengali_Modern language
under Bengali script in addition to the present default language.
Under this we will not include the lookups for complex conjuncts
and post base substitutions. Then selecting the language in an
Open type aware aplication as bengali will show the default
behaviour whereas selecting Bengali_modern as language will lead to
non-formation of those complex conjuncts. Hence same font in same
document can be used in two ways.
Microsoft peole are ready to change the specs accordingly provided
they are provided what the recommendations exactly are.
Does sayamindu have a digital copy of the recomendations?

=====

- Anirban [Dr Anirban Mitra]

Email: address@hidden

E-sahitya, Bengali little magazine on the net at
http://in.geocities.com/esahityapatrika

Yahoo! India Mobile: Download the latest polyphonic ringtones.
Go to http://in.mobile.yahoo.com