freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Bangla for mobile devices...

From: Omi Azad
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Bangla for mobile devices...
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:33:27 +0600

Sorry! This is not a place for this kind of information, but I can share some knowledge with you. And all Indic languages are very complicated thing to handle. It's not possible to make solution without any vendor. Symbian OS has Unicode support, but doesn't have any Unicode rendering engine. So Bangla fonts doesn't work in that.

Also we had another option, JAVA. But the sad part is, JAVA *only* supports Hindi and no other Indic language. I contacted many people of IBM and SUN, but no one gave me a positive response.

The texts of simple mobiles are quite like image (with some advance technology) and 2 vendor controls that. One is T9 ( http://www.t9.com/languages.html ) and the other one is eZitext ( http://www.zicorp.com/ezitext.htm ). T9 already has Bangla, but as no mobile company sells their product directly in Bangladesh, you cannot update the software. So your Nokia 3310 will not have Bangla T9. But people of India are enjoying the system.

Omi

ahmed sirajee wrote:

Dear All...
Hi.
I am new to the list.
I have been thinking about a solution of including Bangla in the mobile devices [vendor independent]. Where we do not have to type english and in the end get/send as an image. I have seen the Citycell solution. This practice is also common in India. Comments and links would be much appreciated. Cheers... Ahmed