[Freecats-Dev] One or two reflections about the name FreeCATS

From: Dave Simons
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] One or two reflections about the name FreeCATS
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:42:02 +0100

Not wanting to start off sounding completely negative, let me say that FreeCATS is a really cool sounding name. Let me also add that I've been involved with Free Software for a number of years and recognize a lot of its strengths and weaknesses.

Now here's what I don't like about the FreeCATS name:

1) It's not a translator oriented name; it's IT oriented. IT people are good at giving things names that don't say what they do and then turning them into acronyms so they reveal even less. That's why IT companies pay marketing people good money to come up with original names like "Word". Professional translators are supposed to be a little more lucid than most other professions when it comes to the use of vocabulary. We could advertise this notable quality of ours by choosing a name that avoids clichés and acronyms.

2) The word Free, however accurately it might describe the concept, is paradoxically a word with negative connotations in English. Professional people who are not involved in free software projects, i.e., most of the world, immediately see "free = 0.00 euros" while overlooking the more important "free = do as you please". And of course, anything that doesn't cost money can't possibly be any good, can it :)

3) As for the CATS (computer-aided translation software) bit: Computer-aided is an overused and unnecessary term. People talk about computer-aided design whereas nobody ever talked about drawing-board-and-slide-rule-aided design. There's hardly likely to be any doubt when downloading an application that it's something you run on a computer; it's even less likely that anyone needs reminding twice in the same phrase that this in in fact "software".

4) O.K., that leaves the word translation. Sorry, but that doesn't make the grade either. We're not really talking about a translation application, are we. We're talking about a productivity and consistency application. How many people will imagine that this is some kind of automatic translation program? Worse, how many customers might jump to the same conclusion when a translator/agency advertises the name of the tools it is using?

So what do I think it should be called? Well if I used it when translating I'd consider it my assistant, so I guess I'd call it "Translator's Assistant" or "Translator's Friend". If I was using it in the context of a multi-translator translation project, I'd probably call it "Translation Organizer." If I wanted to sell the idea to a management consultant I'd call it "Speedsure Translation Booster" or some other high falutin' name.

That's just my two penn'orth (or $0.02 if you prefer y'all). I'm sure someone can think of a perfect name for this project. Of course, in the end I'll go along with whatever name is used, even FreeCATS :-)

Dave Simons