[Freecats-Dev] HTTP server... (Front-End only) - cont.

From: Henri Chorand
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] HTTP server... (Front-End only) - cont.
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:44:23 +0100

But seriously, yes, I was seeing it as a front-end only, which would
transform HTTP requests (GET) into Free CATS API calls and send back
Free CATS API return values via HTTP (PUT or whatever).

I believe it's a pre-requisite if our server has to answer HTTP
requests from clients, but you might mean in fact, it's not that
obvious. David, I believe you will confirm that we DO need a HTTP
server as a front-end [if only] to process HTTP requests?  I'm not
sure what we could do without one, except rewrite a VERY poor ersatz
of Apache, I'm afraid - we might name it after General Custer ;-)).

Why not just develop your own protocol first - figure out what needs
to go in and out, and get that working, then worry about whatever
front end you need.

Yes, definitely.
Basically, any client (translation, alignment or whatever) must be able to make API calls, as described in our Development Roadmap, via HTTP GET & PUT.

We must also decide if we implement it on top of a filesystem (which seems to have assets as well as drawbacks to me) or via some DBMS.

These API calls are a draft, but I guess they should not be far from what we'll end up implementing. For instance, the way we send user's or admin's ID and password may be followed after all, since nobody knocked on the door bringing back some a magical mystery secure connection layer ;-)

Now that we do have an algorithm for the worst part (TU search & indexing), the other API calls are going to be comparatively easier to write, so coding stage is not too far away.

And, as an early draft, I believe we'll start by calling each of these functions in batch mode on test cases, and see what happens.

For now, I mainly see two areas of potential difficulty with Free CATS project:

On the server side, if we end up needing to pick and set up too many individual components in order to achieve what we need. In this respect, stuff like PyXML (if ever we need it, it's only an example here) look really neatly packaged and Python should be feasible for people like me, with just an average experience of computing, not (yet) closely related to things which look mainstream for more experienced free software programmers.

On the client side, wxpython may well be the tool thanks to which we'll build a sophisticated while portable GUI, but we'll really need help in order to set up everything in a clean way. It seems to require high-level experience of C++. Hopefully, we'll obtain help more easily at this stage. Also, the related problems might correspond more closely to widely encountered issues than with our (highly specific) TM server.

I'm less impressed with still very "obscure" (for me) issues like what our bilingual document working format will end up looking like.

Also, when the time will come to begin writing conversion filters, writing each other in turn (the first one being, of course, for the dummiest file format possible) should have a cascading effect, in that each one will help us to deal with the next one.

Henri