[Freecats-Dev] Setting up Python & SciTE editor on Linux (newbie)

From: Henri Chorand
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] Setting up Python & SciTE editor on Linux (newbie)
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 17:29:03 +0100

Hi all,

I succeeded in installing Python on my PC, and can now run "hello world" apps and begin learning the language. Latest stable release is 2.2.2.

Like for Tcl, I'm at a loss to understand why the supposedly "newbie" docs start nearly immediately to detail various intricacies while forgetting to provide answers to a couple of the most basic issues.

For me, the worst seems to concern how to modify paths for executable files and how to avoid it when unneeded, and to specify parameters in shortcut icons on my desktop.

I'm now trying to set up a simple editor, SciTE - it nearly works except I can't activate Python's (or any other language's) syntax highlighting. I'm trying to get help from the nice folks on comp.lang.python.

Let me know in case anybody around happens to be a Scite guru :-)
I can also edit my Python files with Kate, so presently I'm not stuck anyway (except the highlighting is a bit basic, but it's only a help, not a requirement.

FYI, I'm writing down a detailed list of setup steps for newbies in case anybody else needs it.

Regards,

Henri