Re: [Freecats-Dev] Re: TM migration

From: Yves Champollion
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] Re: TM migration
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:19:54 +0100

> From: "Henri Chorand" <address@hidden>

> Trados 3's TMW is OK with WF. This may be what triggered Trados into
making
> Trados 5's TMW format, which if I remember well, WF does try to open, but
> without being able to guarantee it.
>
> Yves should be able to provide a more detailed feed-back on this.

yes, TMX is the gateway between translation tools. There are two levels of
TMX; all tools support level 1, most support level2. TMX level 2 is still in
the process of being defined, but TMX level 1is already an adult standard,
well-defined and widely used.

Wordfast reads/writes Trados 2 and 3. As for Trados 5, there's a glitch
preventing the current "commercial" version of Wordfast from reading it, I
will patch this soon. Trados5 TMs are encrypted, and "cracking" their
encryption would be illegal, at least in some countries. But Trados5 does
not have its own encryption routine, it uses a Windows DLL to do so.
Wordfast uses the same algorithm as that Windows DLL (of *public* knowledge
and use), et voilĂ .

Yves C