[Freecats-Dev] Re: OmegaT - Java version 1.4 should not be required

From: Henri Chorand
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] Re: OmegaT - Java version 1.4 should not be required
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 22:17:44 +0100

Keith Godfrey wrote:
Hi all, just a quick message. OmegaT was designed to run on JVM 1.2, and while I'm not sure if that is still possible, it is certainly possible to run under JVM 1.3 (or at least to run under the Sun 1.3.1 Linux distribution, as that is where I do almost all of my testing and development)

It is recommended to use JVM 1.4, as Sun has upgraded many elements of the java virtual machine, including performance issues, display quality and varius bug fixes. If someone finds a bug that prevents OmegaT from running under 1.3, please let me know so I can try to resolve it.

Thanks for your feed-back.

Keith, as you will have guessed, the bunch of us are not computer freaks,
and we also use various OSes here - mostly WinCrows, but I've got a Linux
box at home, and there also are a couple of Mc OSXers (well, at least Kirk).

Charles Stewart told us not long ago:
>> The recent brouhaha about "java is inefficient, even Sun
>> says so" applies *only* to Sun's own JVM.  IBM's JVM is
>> better, and we can compile to native C using gcc+CLASSPATH.

So, before we all start installing a reliable (read: non-MS) JVM on our
whatever hardware we've got, could Keith and Charles please provide us with some JVM background info?

Also, I read things about incompatibilities between some versions of
some JVMs, but I'm not sure I remember well. Could you provide some
guidelines about which version to install and which one to avoid - the
usual "Java for Mere Mortals" stuff, if such a thing exists ;-))

For what's worth, I've tested Sun's stuff in my office's Win PCs (can't remember its version...) and it worked quite well (I can't say anything about performance, as I don't yet use Java for serious work).

Henri