freefont-announce

[Freefont-announce] corruption in CVS revisions of this year

From: Steve White
Subject: [Freefont-announce] corruption in CVS revisions of this year
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 13:42:54 +0200

Hi,

This is a heads-up about all FreeFont revisions from this year (2011).
Some corruption has occurred in the CVS revisions, starting around the
beinning of the year.

I recently noticed some font features had gone missing, specifically
Latin kerning of everything but smallcaps..., from all the FreeSerif
faces, and at least some FreeSans faces.

Looking back through the revision history, I see they were lost in revision
        1.583 Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-B:  added some easy ones
        Jan 6 2011
Judging from the diffs, a few mathematical symbols were indeed added,
but kerning tables in Latin and Greek were removed, and there were
other strange changes I don't understand in other ranges such as
Arabic.

I had a look at some of the other faces, and see similar problems
across all of them, probably dating from a similar time.

My guess is, I used a bad release of FontForge that started making
some changes of its own.

I've been rather busy with other things...but it is disappointing to
me that this slipped my notice for so long.  I guess I haven't been
printing much with the font in the interim: the kerning changes alone
are noticable.

This is going to take some time to sort out.

Sorry for any inconvenience!