freeform-dev

[Freeform-dev] educated

From: Leslie Flanagan
Subject: [Freeform-dev] educated
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:46:28 -0300

The result was that May and Tetta found themselves standing one on eachside of the bed.
The sweetness, too, of the summer-night air, after the shut-upness of thestuffy room.
For Tetta said: Blow out the candle first. And over thisthere ensued a wordy dispute. I never knew there WERE so many stars, did you?
Oh, dont you wish we could see into the future, Trix?
And pulling the girl to her she kissed her soundly, somehalf-dozen times, with scant pause between.
Alice, who was ticklish, gave aninvoluntary shudder.
Anyhow, now youll just HAVE to get up and make a light again. At this outlandish persistence Alice drew a heavy sigh.
But what Im asking you is, WHY a hair-slide?
Well, then I shall probably strangle her in her sleep, said May darklyas she climbed in again. Sheskipped from his reach, there was a chase, a scuffle, and then for thethird time up she went.
These found and onestruck, the candle was recovered; but the candlestick lay in fragments. My heads right down in thecrack between the pillows.
One tall white figure, one short, they opened the door and stepped out onthe verandah. In comparison thebathroom struck cool, being windowless, and lit only by a raisedskylight.
Then May said: My mother always says its dangerous to go to sleep onyour left-hand side. Id sooner be hung than wear it, as long as THAT putty-facedJanes about!
And over thisthere ensued a wordy dispute.
Well, no, not a BROOCH, Peg,she said in a small voice. The tidewas on the turn; it was time to go.
Dont know Im sure, said thirteen-year-old Tetta, not quitetruthfully. But were simply sticking together likemelting jellies.
May, the goose, doing as she was told, had thento climb over and in between them in the dark.
First Im going to find out what the time is. Affectionately Trixie snuggled up to her friend. But Tetta thought: though she brushed it a hundred times it wouldnever be anything but bristly.