freeipmi-devel

[Freeipmi-devel] portability issue in syslog w/ LOG_MAKEPRI????

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] portability issue in syslog w/ LOG_MAKEPRI????
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:00:18 -0700

Hmmmmm.  On redhat, the syslog(3) manpage says:

The priority argument is formed by ORing the facility
and the level values (explained below).

But the gnu libc manual says:

The macro LOG_MAKEPRI generates a facility/priority from a facility and
a priority,

On redhat, we're seeing:

syslog: unknown facility/priority: 443

in the syslog b/c LOG_MAKEPRI(LOG_LOCAL1, LOG_ERR) makes a value out of
range.  On redhat, this macro resolves to:

(((17 << 3) << 3) | 0x03)

Which is 0x443.

For the time being, I've changed the priority in libfreeipmi to

"LOG_LOCAL1 | LOG_ERR"

Until we can figure out what the best thing to do is.

Al

--
Albert Chu
address@hidden