freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] IPMI

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] IPMI
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:38:21 -0700

,----[ "Martin, Stephane" <address@hidden> ]
| I just notice your FreeIPMI package, seems very nice.  We are working
| within IPMI firmware developpement and we will probably try your
| package soon and send feedback.  I wonder if you plan to include a
| console for Serial over Lan (through RCMP protocol) that will receive
| data comming from a IPMI controller.  For instance, there is not much
| of these application within out there and Serial Ovel Lan (SOL) is one
| of new feature of the IPMI v2.0.
`----
Thanks. Your feedback will be very valuable to us.

All of the current IPMI SOL implementations are proprietary and
non-standard. None of them are willing to provide the specifications
to us without NDA.

I am half way through in implementing Intel's SOL. But getting
permission from them to release our code under GPL seems impossible.
Intel gave me the specs with NDA. Tyan is friendly enough in
supporting FreeIPMI. But I am hesitant to support non-IPMI standards
just for short terms.

I am only hoping that all vendors will soon switch to IPMI-2.0 and I
will have hardware around to support SOL.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>