freeipmi-users

Re: [Freeipmi-users] Tyan Thunder S2882 with m3289 bmc module

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Tyan Thunder S2882 with m3289 bmc module
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:09:40 -0800

,----[ "Jan Tiri" <address@hidden> ]
| Please be my guest, I will be pleased to beta test as much as
| possible.
`----
Every bug you report is very valuable to us. I appreciate your
support.

,----[ "Jan Tiri" <address@hidden> ]
| Another strange thing; my ipmi board now only reacts when the power is
| off. If my kernel crashes for whatever reason, I'm not able to reset the
| machine. I guess this isn't really normal behaviour ...
|
| response timed out: rq_seq=0
| response received from 192.168.1.100: rq_seq=1, auth: none=clear md2=clear
| md5=set passwd=clear oem=clear permsg=clear user=clear
| response received from 192.168.1.100: rq_seq=2, auth: none=clear md2=clear
| md5=set passwd=clear oem=clear permsg=clear user=clear
`----
This looks like network driver bug. Albert noticed a similar problem
with Intel's e1000 driver, when the kernel goes to halt. Patch is
simple. You have to comment the e1000_suspend call in notifier
routine. We should not suspend the e1000 controller, because it is
also used by the BMC.

It is also possible to fix it without modifying the driver, by
fiddling with the EEPROM power-management setting using ethtool. Tell
me what network card you have, I will help you.

Thanks,
--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>