freeipmi-users

Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmipower

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmipower
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:27:52 -0800

Hey Kevin,

That's interesting.  It seems as though the BMC is actually trying to
resolve IP addresses on the BMC before responding to a packet.  Most
BMCs that I've seen seem to blindly respond to whatever IP/MAC sent the
packet, which in my opinion is the right thing to do (keep the BMC
stupid).

> > Doing a tcpdump while doing an ipmiping shows the bmc, at roughly
every
> > > two minutes, makes an arp request towards the machine running ipmiping
> > > and drops all packets on the floor while it is waiting for the arp
> > > response. So every bmc drops some packets. Also, when starting up
> > > ipmiping, it drops some packets while it does an initial arp request.

I just realized something.  Aren't the arp responses coming back
quickly?  If the arp response is coming back in a reasonble length of
time (lets say < 1 second), the ipmi software should detect dropped
packets and resend appropriately.

I'm a bit stumped.  Does IBM have some provided software that works?  I
suppose it's possible I'm doing some subtle differences in the protocol
(maybe related to sequence numbers) that confuses the BMC while other
IPMI software doesn't.

Al