Re: [pooma-dev] allocation assert

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] allocation assert
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:07:57 -0800

    Stephen> 3) The Pool code could be faulty.  This has happened in
    Stephen> the past because of some compiler reorderings of code
    Stephen> using reinterpreted pointers looking at the same piece of
    Stephen> memory.

In particular, the Pool code at some point violated the C/C++ rules
about type aliasing.  Therefore, clever compilers (including G++ after
I implemented this optimization) woudl reorder assignments in ways
that were not anticipated.  I *thought* I fixed the Pool code, but I
could be wrong.

--
Mark Mitchell                   address@hidden