Re: [pooma-dev] enums vs. static data members

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] enums vs. static data members
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:12:25 -0800

    Julian> the expression "(wildcard==1)" being passed as a template
    Julian> argument to these functions.  The aCC alternately
    Julian> complains that either "wildcard" is not defined in the
    Julian> current context or that there is no appropriate operator==
    Julian> defined to evaluate the expression.

I'm not sure what would cause the former problem, but the second
complaint is most likely bogus.  Conversion from an enumeration type
to an integer type is an integral promotion, and, as such, a "usual
arithmetic conversion".  However, if there were weird template
`operator==' functions in scope, that could prompt this problem,
perhaps.

    Julian> I hate using these enums because different compilers seem
    Julian> to treat them differently.  An alternative would be to
    Julian> define a static bool "wildcard" in these classes, set it

Yes, that is definitely cleaner.  Old compilers will not accept this,
but I don't think we care anymore.

    Julian> static variables.  You can't just stick this in the class
    Julian> definition.

Well, that's pedantically true.  Most compilers will let you slide by
without defining the static data member, but you should do it anyhow.

--
Mark Mitchell                   address@hidden