RE: [pooma-dev] timers and performance measurement under Linux

From: James Crotinger
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] timers and performance measurement under Linux
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:45:50 -0600

It looks to me like Benchmark is assuming wall-clock time - the MOps calculation is:

  opCount / time_per_iteration / 1.0e6

where time_per_iteration is basically the average over the iterations of

  (stop - start - overhead)

where stop and start are measured with Clock::value(). If Clock::value() is returning total CPU time and we're running multi-threaded, then this isn't giving us what we want. If anything, the CPU time will go up with the number of threads. Of course, I don't know how clock() works with threads - if it is really returning the total CPU time for the process or what. If it were returning the CPU time for the calling thread, then the calculation is just plain wrong. If it is returning the total CPU time then the calculation needs to divide by the number of worker threads, or something like that - really it is also just plain wrong. The bottom line is that to measure parallel speedup we really want wall-clock time and so it seems that the place to be careful is if you're falling back on the default of clock() or using the SGI high-speed timers (I need to check the docs on these and see just what they really measure).

At any rate, Stephen looked over my changes to use gettimeofday under Linux and said they look good, so I've committed my changes to src/Utilities/Clock.h along with correpsonding changes to the configure files.

BTW, the Linux header files contain definitions of timespec and clock_gettime, but I couldn't figure out how to access them. Does anyone know? These give even higher resolution, or at least potentially do. But if I just include <sys/time.h> and <time.h>, the compiler tells me timespec has not been defined. The headers check a macro __need_timespec and I tried defining this, but it didn't seem to have any effect. I ran into the same problem earlier when I tried to use nanosleep - it is in the header files, but it seems disabled by some configuration options.

    Jim