RE: [pooma-dev] Profiling POOMA: How to?

From: James Crotinger
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] Profiling POOMA: How to?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:17:19 -0600

We should probably add a -gprof option to configure to have it make these additions itself. That way you'd be guaranteed that the entire "suite" would be consistent.

> [ At this point I suspect it would be much flexible to specify the
>   target specific profiling option at configure level instead of
>   modifying config/arch/<suite>.conf ]

Right.

> III) Producing profiling information.
>
>   To produce the actual profiling information, you have to invoke
> gprof and the program being profiled as its argument.  Since gprof
> writes directly on the standard output, you might want to use a
> redirection :
>
>    gprof atest > atest-pooma.prof

When I do this on my linux box (with ABCTest), gprof goes away for a very long time and then core dumps (after printing a message about not being able to allocate several gigabytes of memory). Any ideas? Is this related to your caveat?

  Jim