newfield_revision Merged into Mainline

From: Jeffrey Oldham
Subject: newfield_revision Merged into Mainline
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:43:26 -0700

The creation of a `blanca-2001Oct01' branch with the previous Field
implementation was announced in my previous email.  Now, the
`newfield_revision' branch has been merged into the mainline,
replacing the Field implementation with the revised implementation.

The improvements include:
1) support for field centerings and multiple values within a cell
2) support for meshes
3) improved particles
4) support for relations

Code development will now occur on the mainline.

To use the mainline,
                           cvs update -P -A
where `-A' resets any sticky tags and
      `-P' prunes empty diretories.

We appreciate your forgiveness as we resolve any remaining
difficulties.

**** Details of the merge ****

The merger of the newfield_revision branch into the mainline basically
followed Scott Haney's instructions of Tuesday, 28 August.

1. The newfield_revision branch was merged into the mainline using the
   `cvs update -j newfield_revision' command.  This preserves any bug
   fixes in the mainline.

2. The BConds, Geometry, Meshes, and IO directories were removed.

3. The NewField directory replaced the Field directory.

4. All uses of "newfield" regardless of capitalization were replaced
   with "field".  Hopefully, this text substitution does not cause any
   name conflicts.

5. src/Pooma/NewFields.h replaced src/Pooma/Fields.h.

The Pooma library and the (now named) Field tests were compiled using
gcc 3.0.1 on Linux for sequential computation.

In your spare cycles while doing optimization work, please compile
your favorite test code or benchmark to ensure it still works.  I am
working on using QMTest to automatically compile and run test code and
benchmarks; changing the directory strucure broke the tests.  When it
is complete, we can automate this checking.

Again, we appreciate your forgiveness as we resolve any remaining
difficulties.

Thanks,
Jeffrey D. Oldham
address@hidden