Pooma/Cheetah and MPI

From: Richard Guenther
Subject: Pooma/Cheetah and MPI
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 17:04:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

I tried to use MPI to parallelize a pooma application and stumbeled
over the following problem:

A simple mpirun -np 4 myprog -mpi does not work, the first process
gets spawned, but just runs as in uniprocessor mode. The problem is,
the spawned processes dont get the -mpi parameter and such dont
call MPI_Init.

The problem is in Cheetah ControllerFactory::create which _removes_
the controller argument (-mpi) from the argument list and as such
the master MPI_Init and any further MPI_Init's dont see it.

I worked around this by manually re-inserting -mpi to the arguments
list in my program, but of course this is not a solution to the problem.
A fix would be to move the argument removal in Cheetah to _after_ the
MPI_Init call.

Anyone with a different solution to the problem? I'll happily contribute
the above suggestion, if nobody has a fix already.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <address@hidden>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/