Re: [FR-devel] Database slot-type addition

From: Hal E. Fulton
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Database slot-type addition
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:29:26 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt Hibbs" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 12:08 PM

> Hal E. Fulton wrote:
> >
> > Rich Kilmer wrote:
> >
> > > Proposed addition of a slot type of 'hash':
> > >
> > > Added methods to slot:
> > >
> > >  #slot.put(key, value)
> > >  #slot.get(key) #=> value
> > >  #slot.is_hash_slot?
> > >  #slot.hash # turn slot into hash slot
> >
> > Well, I see your point where slot.data={}
> > is concerned. But for the others, we could
> > make #hash create an object that was a
> > subclass of Hash, with the [] and []=
> > doing notification. Couldn't we? This
> > would be more convenient than a #get and
> > a #put, IMO.
> >
> > Actually I guess a 'get' operation doesn't
> > need to notify a subscriber anyway.
>
> I like this... a very useful addition.

On thinking a little more: Couldn't we
simplify it even further?

Change the data= accessor so that when it
was passed a hash (empty or not) it converted
it to the subclassed hash (and did any needed
notification).

Shouldn't that work? Then we could get rid of
#hash, too (though we might need to keep
#is_hash_slot?).

Hal