[FR-devel] Re: Threading Problem Fixed with Andy's Latest Installers

From: address@hidden
Subject: [FR-devel] Re: Threading Problem Fixed with Andy's Latest Installers
Date: 30 Aug 2002 14:04:31 -0000

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:06:00 -0700, "Curt Hibbs" <address@hidden> wrote :

> I just test FreeRIDE (with Rich's recent fixes) with both of the latest
> versions of Andy's Windows Installers: 1.6.7-4 and 1.7.2-4 downloaded from:
>
>     http://rubygarden.com/ruby?WindowsInstaller
>
> FreeRIDE runs perfectly with both builds! Thanks, Andy!

Ummm, this seems unlikely to me (but I've been wrong before).

The critical changes to Ruby 1.6 and 1.7 were committed to the Ruby CVS
repository only a few weeks ago, but I believe I'm correct in saying that
Andy's installers are built against older versions of Ruby. When I run the
Ruby from Andy's 1.6.7-4 installer it reports:

ruby 1.6.7 (2002-03-01) [i586-mswin32]

and for his 1.7.2-4 installer I get:

ruby 1.7.2 (2002-07-02) [i386-mswin32]

I checked with Matz about his thoughts on releasing a Ruby 1.6.8 sometime
soon (since this fix has been made in the ruby_1_6 branch of the CVS) and he
said he hopes to do that in a few weeks' time; he still has some more work
to do there, though.

So, for the immediate future, I think FreeRIDE'ers are still going to have
to check the Ruby source code out of CVS and build it for themselves in
order to benefit from this fix. I *have* confirmed that if you build Ruby
1.6 from CVS, you can use my FXRuby-1.0.13-win32 installer as-is with that
version (i.e. they seem to be binary compatible). For Ruby 1.7, they'll need
to download my FXRuby-1.0.13-win32-ruby1.7.3 installer.