RE: [FR-devel] Nishio's Source Browser

From: Bob Calco
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Nishio's Source Browser
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:09:28 -0400

Curt:

I too have a windows version of Bison, Flex, etc., and I am working (in
cohoots with and at the gentle, encouraging prodding of Rich Kilmer) on a
complete Ruby Lexer/Parser DLL that could be used, among other things, with
the source browser, or as a front end to a bytecode compiler, or to improve
the SciTE Ruby lexer, or whatever.

Flex, Bison, Byacc, etc., all come with the cygwin environment, which is
easily downloadable and remarkably Linux-compliant (in terms of being able
to compile and run Linux programs from the source on Windows). I maintain my
own Ruby Win32 build and my own Cygwin and Mingw builds now on my machine (I
keep different executable names - rb32 fo Windows, ruby for cygwin and mruby
for mingw). So I can test across several windows compilers. And I have
VMWare with RedHat 7.3, so I can test that too.

I'm working on the Lexer/Parser DLL today, as a matter of fact. I'll keep
everyone posted as it becomes functional, hopefully within a week or so. It
should prove useful in FreeRIDE on a number of different fronts... and
useful to the community on several other fronts.

My goals are to create a lexer/parser DLL for Ruby that:

1. is decoupled from the Object Runtime but 100% compatible with it
   (in other words, Matz could decide to use it in the core distro
   instead of the current highly coupled parser and everything
   would work)
2. exposes an API for traversing the symbol table that is simple,
   event-driven, and that follows the POLS.
3. compiles with each of the target compilers that can be used to
   compile Ruby itself.

Sincerely,

Bob Calco