[FR-devel] Re: Fox, FXRuby, fxscintilla and FreeRide - again

From: address@hidden
Subject: [FR-devel] Re: Fox, FXRuby, fxscintilla and FreeRide - again
Date: 30 Dec 2002 23:19:47 -0000

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:53:08 -0500 (EST), Daniel Carrera
<address@hidden> wrote :

> On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Lyle Johnson wrote:
> >
> > What steps have you taken to confirm that your FOX, FXRuby and
> > FXScintilla installations worked properly? For example, did you try to
> > run any of the FXRuby example programs?
>
> I know that FXRuby is not working.  I have not figured out how to test
> fox since, like I said, it was an rpm install.

Sigh.

As I know I've said in a previous post, there is no point in your trying
FreeRIDE if you already know that any of its dependencies are broken.
There's also little point in using RPMs built for some unknown operating system.

How do you *know* that FXRuby is not working? I am not questioning the fact
that it isn't working on your system -- I just need to know what happens
when you try to run, say, the "hello.rb" example program that comes with
FXRuby. For example, if you see an error message like:

hello.rb:3:in `require': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)
        from hello.rb:3

it means that FXRuby either is installed in the wrong directory or isn't
installed at all (which are the same thing as far as Ruby is concerned). If
on the other hand you see an error message like:

LoadError: libFOX-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory - /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux/fox.so
        from (irb):1:in 'require'
        from (irb):1

it may mean that the FOX library is not in the search library for
dynamically loadable libraries. This problem is described in the FXRuby
User's Guide here:

    http://www.fxruby.org/doc/build.html

under the topic "Cannot load library".