Re: [freesci-develop] build failure

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] build failure
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:44:53 +0100

Hi,

> FreeSCI (0.3.4a) doesn't build with libdirectfb version 0.9.16.  It
> chokes on DSPF_RGB15 not being defined in
> src/gfx/driver/directfb_driver.c.  According to
> http://www.directfb.org/download/DirectFB/NEWS, DSPF_RGB15 has been
> removed in favour of DSPF_ARGB1555 in libdirectfb 0.9.16.
>
> I have no idea what this stuff does, so I didn't really want to commit
> anything to CVS.  Replacing DSPF_RGB15 by DSPF_ARGB1555 on line 614 of
> directfb_driver.c does make it compile, although I haven't tested if it
> works (no fb on this machine).

Essentially, the _core_ problem is that libdirectfb API is even less
stable than the glutton implementation; they change little details in
every minor release (without, at least IIRC, providing preprocessor macros
to allow checking for this). I'd recommend not linking against this library
(few people use it anyway) for the time being, until we've come up with
a fix (which would probably amount to a cross-compiler-breaking piece
of code along the lines of

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
        printf("%d\n%d\n%d\n", directfb_major_version,
                         directfb_minor_version, directb_patchlevel);
        return 0;
}

...and assigning the results to preprocessor macros in configure.in).

I'll contact the directfb maintainer to point out this issue.

-- Christoph