Re: [freesci-develop] KQ4

From: Stuffed Crust
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] KQ4
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:17:08 -0500

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 07:55:50AM +0300, Sergey Lapin wrote:
> >Try running with '-Poss -Madlibemu'.
> Still doesn't work
> (attached log)

Actually, it's a pretty simple explanation.

> Detected game id: 0x013249ee (KQ4) interpreter 0.000.274

The version of KQ4 you're using is the original release.  It actually
predates the use of the 'patch.xxx' resources to hold the instrument
data for the sound drivers to use.

> Using 2 fragments of 2048 bytes.
> [SND] Patch (003) could not be loaded. Initializing with defaults...
> [ADLIBEMU] invalid patch.003: Expected 1344, got 0
> [SND] The MIDI device failed to open cleanly.
> [SND] Disabling sound output.

In the case of MIDI instruments, we can get away with using the
'defaults' because the hardware already has pre-programmed instruments.
The adlib is different; we need instrument data to be able to make any
kind of sound at all.

KQ4 was updated a little bit and re-released, and the re-release
included proper instrument patch.xxx resources.  However, the original
used a different machanism to store the adlib instrument resources, and
AFAIK nobody's tried to find out where.  It may be embedded in the
binary sound driver itself.

So the simplest thing to do is snag a newer version of KQ4.  *grins*

Meanwhile, I've been out of the freesci loop for a while now.  I wonder
if this is a cautious return.  :P

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   address@hidden