Re: [freesci-develop] Introduction and Question About ScummVM Integratio

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Introduction and Question About ScummVM Integration
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:39:47 -0600

Jordi,

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 01:18:43AM +0200, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> >  The easiest solution to me then seems to be the introduction of a
> > file abstraction API (by refactoring the existing header files) with
> > two underlying implementations, one relying on the one we already have
> > in scicore/tools.c (plus extensions as needed) and one relying on the
> > ScummVM mechanisms, with a flag triggering which one we use.
>
> Any details on the expected API design? About the data structure I'm
> thinking on something like the current sci_dir_t.

  That would do the trick, but as we discussed in IRC some time back,
I still don't see what it will buy us.  The central argument in favour
of supporting this seems to be that it will permit ANSI C89 FILE *
support on platforms that have broken C89 support-- effectively by
wrapping a custom API around ScummVM's FILE* emulation layer.

  Why not just use ScummVM's FILE* emulation layer to provide vanilla
ANSI C89 FILE* support instead?  That sounds like less work and
easier maintenance to me.

  (Unless I am missing something...?)

-- Christoph