freetalk-dev

Re: [Freetalk-dev] ignoring messages

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freetalk-dev] ignoring messages
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:49:45 -0800

,----[ Vikas Gorur <address@hidden> ]
| In ChangeLog, Anand Babu said,
| > support for ignore-message. Need a better approach. Let's discuss
|
| RFC3921 specifies how to maintain "privacy lists" which can be used
| to ignore messages, presence notifications, etc. based on JID,
| group, etc.  (Section 10, "Blocking Communication").
`----
I was talking about display filter. Privacy Lists, Ignore-buddy..
should be a implemented at the server end and loudmouth library should
provide an interface for it.

Back to display-filter. Currently display is partly handled in scheme
(color.scm themes module) and partly in C ft_msg_msg_handler.
"ignore-message" procedure in color.scm doesn't guarantee filtering,
if color.scm is not loaded. We need a coherent approach to filtering
the display of a message.

Correct way to implement is, split processing and display of the
received messages. Export 2 hooks from ft_msg_msg_handler
function. One for processing and one for display. i.e replace
  PRINTF ("%s: %s", from, msg_str);
line with ft-message-display-hook and let color.scm use this hook
instead of ft-message-receive-hook.  This also means entire display
will be handled through color.scm only. It is OK to let color.scm to
be the front-end. If you need more clarity, rename color.scm to
display.scm  and provide a clean way to turn on/off colors. Also
rename ignore-message to add-display-filter!.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31