freetalk-dev

Re: [Freetalk-dev] Freetalk + Proxy

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freetalk-dev] Freetalk + Proxy
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:31:57 -0700

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 03:53:12AM +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
,----
| Ref: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/freetalk-dev/2006-01/threads.html
|
| The point is it does not work when the proxy/firewall is blocking
| port 5222, etc.. I am curious since Freetalk does not work in such a
| scenario, although Google's GTalk client does.
|
| I checked with version 0.69. I would like to help you (if at all you
| need it) in this issue, since I spend most of my Internet hours
| behind a very restrictive proxy, and all the FOSS clients (GAIM,
| Freetalk, Kopete) I know of are simply unable to handle the
| situation although the Windoze ones (Yahoo! Messenger, GTalk) work
| blissfully alright.
`----
I think, the proprietary ones are able to handle non-standard ports
because, they run their service at non-standard ports as well.

,----
| Moreover during the 'make' stage it seems there is a conflict with
| the values of the $http_proxy, $ftp_proxy and so on...
|
| http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/freetalk-dev/2006-08/msg00010.html
`----
version.texi is auto-generated. Your proxy env variable's values
should not get in there. Can you show your version.texi?

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31