Re: Installing FreeType 2

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Installing FreeType 2
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:46:43 +0100

HI Hilmar,

Hilmar Schepp a écrit :

> Dear David,
>
> I'm a newbie using freetype. So I'm not able to install freetype
> on my Linux-System (SuSE 6.3, Kernel 2.2.13). Please could you
> support me by telling me the needed steps to install succesfully
> freetype 2?

It depends on which version of FreeType you're using. If you're
speaking of FreeType 1.x, then you can download the latest archive
from any ftp site, then install it with the traditional "./configure",
"make" and "make install".

However, if you're speaking about FreeType 2, things go a bit different.
Because this version is still in active development state, I strongly
recommend against installing it on any system.

Otherwise, you can, for now, compile it as a static library and linked
it directly to your application if you wish so. Needless to say that the
API might change until the final release (even though not in great ways,
but one can't be too sure).

I wish you a happy hacking with whichever version of the engine :-)
Best Regards,

- David