Re: Formatting nit: quoting

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: Formatting nit: quoting
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:16:39 +0100

At 2:05 AM +0200 26-07-2000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>It is goold old TeX usage: ` and ' are eventually converted to opening
>and closing quotes.

Well, C ain't TeX... Typography is hard with 7-bit ASCII.

>Since I've done the rest of the library in the
>same way I want to stay uniformly.

I understand; As the subject says, it's just a nit, do with it what you will...

>Do you have any better choice?  I want to have two different
>characters for beginning and ending a quotation -- note that we
>eventually try to take the source file comments for printing the
>documentation.

You want something impossible: there are no opening and closing quotes in
ASCII. Although an alternative could be < and >. I personally stick to '
and ", but I admit that using ' will give you parsing problems because it's
also the apostrophe. I don't think " is that bad, though.

Ain't it fun to argue about such futile things? ;-)

Just