[FT2 Status] Auto & Type 1 hinting

From: David Turner
Subject: [FT2 Status] Auto & Type 1 hinting
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 14:57:26 +0200

Hello,

  while being silent recently, I have started working on the auto-hinter
  in a rather important way, in order to fix its most obvious
  inconsistencies.

  It involves significant rewrites of the module, and to date, that hasn't
  been finished yet. I originally planned a work of about 3 weeks, but I
  have other projects taking me too much time, and don't expect to complete
  it in this time frame..

  As someone suggested, it's probably better to use a specific Type 1
  hinter for Postscript fonts, at least for the 2.0 release, given
  the current state of affairs..

  I will thus re-integrate the old "type1" hinter into the "type1z"
  module this week. I'd like to see a 2.0 release around
  mid-september (we could take more time, but many bugs have
  been fixed since beta-8, and the API is frozen, except for
  the experimental stuff like "ftcache.h" and "ftsynth.h")

Cheers,

- David