Re: some freetype 2 questions (and a patch)

From: Toby J Sargeant
Subject: Re: some freetype 2 questions (and a patch)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:11:39 +1100

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 02:14:08AM +1100, Toby J Sargeant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm playing around with decomposing outline into spans, and I've come across
> some issues which it would be good to have clarified.
>
> Firstly, is there any difference between the outline member stored in
> the glyph slot, and the outline stored in a glyph retrieved with
> FT_Get_Glyph() on that outline? I ask, because the following python code:
>
> ft_face.loadGlyph(glyph).glyph.outline.decompose(ft_lib)
> ft_face.loadGlyph(glyph).glyph.getGlyph().outline.decompose(ft_lib)

Sorry, this was my own mistake. the glyph object was being destroyed too
early, and that was causing the outline to be all messed up.

For anyone who's interested, I've now got outline to decomposed span format
conversion going. Spans can be quickly clipped to arbirtary shapes, and
also can be composed onto bitmaps quickly, using alpha transparency
calculations only for the antialiased areas.

They take up much less memory than the equivalently sized bitmap, and almost
certainly are quicker to draw onto a target image.

Toby.