RE: CygWin build system for FreeType2

From: Fleischer, Karsten (K.)
Subject: RE: CygWin build system for FreeType2
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 04:34:06 -0400

Hi David,

> I didn't test them (except ensuring that they didn't break normal
> Win32 builds with gcc and Visual C :-).

Fine, I didn't test this ;-)

> I have a few questions though:
>
>  - do these additional files work from the windows command line
>    and/or from bash ?

>From bash. Cygwin programs do start from windows command line, but the
environment might not be correctly set up. Especially OSTYPE isn't set to
cygwin normally, so in the best case win32 or dos setup should start up.

>  - it seems that CONFIG_SHELL is hard-coded to "/bin/bash", am
>    I wrong to suppose that this will not work with all installs
>    of Cygwin

Bash is Cygwin's default shell, so it should be available on every Cygwin
installation.
There are some problems with /bin/sh (which is ash on Cygwin) when
configuring, at least on my system. So I hardcoded it to bash. I'll
investigate on this.

>  - it'd be probably nice to change the files to allow the
>    compilation of the library with other compilers even when
>    the environment variable OSTYPE is defined as "cygwin",
>    with something like "make setup visualc" for example..

Yes, that's what meant when I said it'd need some more work ;-)

- Karsten