Re: Set_Pixel_Sizes for TTF

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Set_Pixel_Sizes for TTF
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 00:10:38 +0200 (CEST)

> > I have the impression that Set_Pixel_Sizes() in ttdriver.c does
> > nothing.  Is this a bug?
>
> I don't think so.

But how shall the application know?  I think the behaviour of FT
should be changed that for bitmap fonts only FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes()
works, giving an error if the font is an outline font.  The opposite
for FT_Set_Char_Size().

Maybe there is a better solution -- but doing nothing is bad.

> Set_Pixel_Sizes is useful for following types.
> 1. outlines with all sbits(a.k.a. embedded bitmaps).
> 2. sbits without outlines.
>
> But it is confused if two API(Set_Pixel and Set_Point) is
> available for following cases.
> 3. outlines without sbits.
> 4. outlines with a few sbits. (e.g. Monotype Courier New)
> 5. outlines with many (but not all) sbits. (e.g. MS mincho)
>
> Any good solutions?

3. to 5. are fonts which are used in an outline context.  IMHO the
existence of sbits should be completely hidden to the application, so
only FT_Set_Char_Size() should be used.