[Devel] Re: [Fonts] Re: [Render] Font name matching (urg)

From: Erik van der Poel
Subject: [Devel] Re: [Fonts] Re: [Render] Font name matching (urg)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:11:11 -0800

> One useful piece of information which I can't figure out is how to compute
> which unicode subsets a particular TrueType/Type1 font supply.

I don't know about Type1 fonts.

TrueType fonts often have a Unicode cmap subtable:

  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/OTSPEC/cmap.htm

However, the presence of an entry for a particular Unicode in this table
does not guarantee the presence of a glyph for that Unicode (as I
discovered). Some fonts like MS Gothic pull tricks, so I pull additional
tricks to check for actual glyph availability in the "loca" table. See
GetCMAP() in Mozilla's Open Source:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/gfx/src/windows/nsFontMetricsWin.cpp#1023

By the way, TrueType also has bits for Unicode ranges in the "OS/2"
table, but this info is coarse-grained and unreliable.

Erik