Re: [Devel] metric information

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] metric information
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:55:55 +0100 (CET)

> 1. Is there an API or some way of determining the metric extents
> (mainly ascent and descent) information given a font face.  I have
> been able to find only the API (Get_TextMetric) which is for a
> single glyph.  If there isn't one, could someone tell me how to get
> access to the font table so that I can enumerate through the glyphs
> to calculate the extents myself.

The very problem is that not all font formats have precomputed metric
values.  Another problem is how `ascent' and `descent' are defined.

Please tell us what you want to do with this data.  Then we can help
you better.

> 2. How do I get access to the vertical kerning information.  Even
> after setting FT_LOAD_VERTICAL_LAYOUT flag the vertadvance field in
> the text metrics remains constant regardless of glyph.

Do you really have a font with vertical kerning information?  It may
be possible that the code is buggy since we've never seen such a
thing...