[Devel] Re: Type 3 font generation

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: [Devel] Re: Type 3 font generation
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 13:39:04 -0500 (EST)

What kind of Type 3?  There are bitmap Type 3 fonts (like what dvips does to
turn a PK font into a Type 3 font), and there are vector Type 3 fonts that use
the PS operators curveto, lineto, etc...

In fact, a Type 3 font can be built with glyphs that re defined with each method
(bitmap and vector).

On a Windows box, the PS drivers (oth MS's and Adobe's) can be configured to
output a Tpye 3 font for each True Tpye font that is going to be printed.  I
haven't closely examined the PS code, so I am not sure if it these are bitmap or
vector Type 3 fonts.

I wonder what kinds of tools are avaialble in Ghostscript.  I don't know of any
command line tools that do what the guy wants. :(

Tom