Re: [Devel] Re: [Cooker] KDE crashes, was: 2.4.3-3mdk and VIA

From: Arnd Bergmann
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: [Cooker] KDE crashes, was: 2.4.3-3mdk and VIA
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:52:27 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Just look into the font!  The first line gives the version also.  My
> font has 44279 Bytes (in PFB format which is small then PFA) -- is it
> possible that the font file you have is truncated?

No, not truncated but it is indeed an older version that starts with
%!PS-AdobeFont-1.0: NimbusRomNo9L-Medi 001.005
%%CreationDate: Thu Nov 17 1994
% Copyright URW Software, Copyright 1994 by URW
% URW Software, Copyright 1994 by URW
% See the file PUBLIC (Aladdin Free Public License) for license conditions.

instead of

%!PS-AdobeFont-1.0: NimbusRomNo9L-Medi 1.05
%%CreationDate: Wed Dec 22 1999
% Copyright (URW)++,Copyright 1999 by (URW)++ Design & Development
% (URW)++,Copyright 1999 by (URW)++ Design & Development
% See the file COPYING (GNU General Public License) for license conditions.

The problem is there only with the old (1994) version of the pfb file.
I found the 1994 version fonts included in urw-fonts (from mandrake) and
AbiSuite, while the 1999 version comes with ghostscript 6, urw-fonts (from
red hat 7), tetex and XmGrace. The mandrake URW fonts package dates back
to 1998 and points to www.gimp.org, but the files are not even there any
more.

I'll send you the problematic file in private so you can take a closer
look at it.

Note to mandrake people: You should sync the urw-fonts package with
rh, their urw-fonts-2.0 is using the files from ghostscripts
gnu-gs-fonts-std-6.0.tar.gz. I guess that is post-8.0.

Arnd <><