Re: [Devel] Question about optimizing FT_MulFix.

From: Nathan Hurst
Subject: Re: [Devel] Question about optimizing FT_MulFix.
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 00:48:59 +1000 (EST)

As a followup:

I'm surprised about the slowness of version 5 - the powerpc compiler
writer's manual makes a big deal about avoiding branches when possible
using the condition code registers(which aren't used by gcc) and the
select instructions(a machine code equivalent of c=(condition
register)?a:b).  If I knew how to compile ppc asm under gcc I would
implement 5 using these tools and see how it fares.  Also worth trying
would be to run the test on MacOS using the FixMul routine provided in the
std libs which is presumably fairly carefully optimised as it is used
lots in the quickdraw routines.

It's of course questionable whether there is much point in spending any
more time on this.

njh