Re: [Devel] How do you active a charset ?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] How do you active a charset ?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 14:51:04 +0200 (CEST)

> Could any one tell me what API (if any) I could use to inorm the
> FreeType engine of the currently selected character set.
>
> For Instance if toggle between input locales LANG :: English(Layout
> US) and LANG :: Japanese(Keyboard Layout Japanese) How do I inform
> FreeType that the charset is now 0x80 instead of 0x00(English)

[I'm talking about FreeType 2]

FreeType doesn't know anything about character sets.  There are two
methods to access glyphs: directly and with an encoding to map
character codes to glyph indices.  To use the former, simply specify
the glyph index to FT_Load_Glyph().  For the latter, FreeType
predefines some encodings; please read the documentation of
FT_Encoding.  With MS Windows you should normally use
ft_encoding_unicode with FT_Select_Charmap().  A call to
FT_Get_Char_Index() converts the input character code to a the glyph
index which can then be fed into FT_Load_Glyph().